Singapore

19 January 2014

K-fee Coffee

We were invited by our neighbours for dinner a few weeks ago. They are terrific neighbours. We keep an eye on each others houses whenever we go away.

After dinner, they served coffee. It was very good coffee and I was interested what kind of coffee it was. Turned out it was Aldi coffee made with one of their coffee machines, using capsules. After New Year I investigated and was pleasantly surprised. Although I had a coffee machine for some years, it was cumbersome and messy. This on the other hand is quick, clean and works out at 37cents a cup. I had to have one.

My old Saeco coffee machine
The new coffee maker came in a box, marked Expressi but upon examination, it turns out it is actually a K-fee machine, made in Germany but Swiss engineered. (So it must be good).

Swiss engineered K-fee coffee maker


That says it all


My new coffee maker in action
Now I just need some proper coffee cups but they are hard to find. I might have to go and look for them in a trade supply shop.

Aldi sell a variety of capsules rated by strength.  At this stage I use #10 for me and #4 for the Blogger who doesn't like strong coffee.

Mmmmm… very good
I'd be interested to hear from anyone out there if you are familiar with K-fee (or Aldi) coffee capsules.

10 comments:

  1. Ooh it looks good Dad!! We can't wait to come over for coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have various friends here (NZ) and in Scotland who use a similar machine Nespresso. They are superb. Aldi is very popular in Scotland so I'm wondering if their capsules are the same. I shall be investigating this when I return to Scotland in May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been told they're not the same as Nespresso but I have not actually compared them.

      Delete
  3. That's funny ! from all coffee pads we tasted for our Senseo coffee machine, Aldi is the best for us (and the cheapest too) I am surprised that Aldi made it until Australia ! I still remember the little Aldi shops when I was a child in Germany !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Gattina, Aldi have been in Australia for a few years and they are a fairly cheap way to buy groceries. Unfortunately they don't carry everything and if you buy something you like, chances are it won't be there next time you shop, so we just buy coffee, nuts and brown rice whenever we need any. Occasionally we buy meat there but their fruit is not very good.

      Delete
  4. Our Aldi Expressi is still going strong after 2 years. Been down the track of fancy expensive manual and automatic machines. Burr grinder, fancy roasts and fancier prices. All the fluffing around that entails. We've had far worse coffee than this and paid a great deal more for it. For the non-connoisseur it takes some beating. We've found quite often that their fruit is excellent as are some of the veges.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been told that to get decent vegetables at Aldi, you have to be there at the right time and I never know when that is. But we do like their bans, they are never stringy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aldi get deliveries every day (or week day anyway) and vast majority of fruit and veges we've seen and bought have been as fresh as you'll get at any supermarket. Mid-morning probably best time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The legs of lamb from Aldi's are pretty good as are their chocolate coated butter biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anyone want to buy the old coffee machine.?

    ReplyDelete

Please click here to post your comments